10 Local Activities & Events You Have To Try in Iraq
Iraq is an exciting, diverse country with a unique culture that allows for plenty of travel opportunities. From the ancient ruins of Babylon to the bustling nightlife of Baghdad, there is something to suit everyone. To ensure you get the most out of your trip to Iraq, here are 10 local activities and events you have to try when visiting the country.
Kite flying is a popular activity in Iraq and is often used as a way to express creativity. Kites in Iraq can come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors and can be seen flying in the sky in many cities and towns. Kite flying event are also popular amongst locals, with competitions taking place throughout the country.
Camel racing is a traditional sport that has been taking place in Iraq for centuries. The sport involves two camels and their riders racing around a track and is very popular in the ‘Marbadia’ region where camels are bred.
Traditional Music & Dancing
Traditional music and dancing is one of the most popular activities in Iraq and provides visitors with an insight into the country’s diverse culture. There are a variety of traditional instruments used to create distinctive sounds and the different music styles can be found in cafes, clubs and markets all over the country.
Visiting Historic Sites & Monuments
Iraq is home to many historic sites, including the Mesopotamian cities of Babylon, Ur and Nineveh. Tourists are able to visit these ancient cities and wander through the remains of temples, palaces and monuments.
The souqs (markets) of Iraq are an unforgettable experience and the perfect place to find unique souvenirs. Markets offer an array of goods such as carpets, jewelry, clothing, and spices. Bargaining is also a part of the tradition and a way to get the best deals.
Iraq is home to many festivals throughout the year. The most popular are the Music Festival of Baghdad and the Bundar Festival which is held during the summer in Basra. These festivals consist of traditional music and dance, with festivities such as eating, drinking and outdoor recreation being part of the fun.
Hiking & Camping
Iraq is home to some amazing natural sites such as Al-jahra, a high-mountain area known for its challenging hikes and stunning views. For a more relaxed experience, Iraq is also home to a variety of magnificent camping spots ranging from sandy deserts to snow-capped mountain peaks.
Kayaking is a great way to explore Iraq’s stunning rivers and lakes. There are many stunning locations, such as the Habbaniyah Dam and the Tigris River, where kayaking is available.
Sandboarding is an adrenaline filled activity and is a great way to take in Iraq’s stunning desert landscapes. It involves riding a sandboard down dunes, with options for racing and tricking available for those looking for something more extreme.
Tasting Local Cuisine
Iraq has a rich and varied cuisine, with a range of flavors and spices that make dishes from this region truly unique. It is definitely worth trying some of the local delicacies such as ‘Hajji’, a traditional flatbread, and ‘Kabab-e-Boom-Boom’, a dish made from spiced ground meat.
Iraq has an array of activities and events that provide visitors with unique experiences and allow them to become immersed in the culture and beauty of the country. Whether you are looking for a thrilling adventure or a relaxed holiday, Iraq has something to offer everyone.
Are you planning on visiting Iraq soon? If so, you’re in for an exciting experience! With its vibrant culture, rich history, and unique attractions, Iraq provides an unparalleled travel experience that can’t be found anywhere else. To ensure you get the most out of your trip, here are 10 local activities and events you must try in Iraq:
1. Explore the Historic City of Babylon: Located in southern Iraq, the ancient city of Babylon is a must-visit. This 5,000-year-old city is filled with archaeological wonders, including the famous Ishtar Gate, which was built by an 18th-century ruler.
2. Attend an Iraqi Music Festival: Just about every Iraqi city has its own music festivals that feature traditional folk music to modern rap. This is the perfect opportunity to learn about Iraq’s intricately intertwined musical threads.
3. Tour the Floating Gardens in Nasiriyah: Float down the Euphrates River and explore the floating gardens of Nasiriyah. This unique ecosystem has been around for over 2,000 years and supports a thriving fish population.
4. Spend an Evening at an Iraqi Cafe: Sipping an sweet, yogurt-based drink called a ‘sherbet’ while enjoying the vibrant atmosphere of an Iraqi cafe is an experience you won’t soon forget. Stop by during the evening hours to watch locals singing and playing traditional instruments.
5. Visit the Iraqi National Museum: Found in the heart of Baghdad, the Iraqi National Museum houses some of the world’s oldest artifacts. Take a guided tour of Iraq’s past and explore artifacts from the ancient Sumerian and Babylonian empires.
6. Attend a Shia Prayer Ceremony: One of the most unique Iraq experiences is attending a Shia prayer ceremony. This prayer is often accompanied by singing and dancing, creating a mystical atmosphere.
7. Stroll Along the Tigris River in Mosul: For breathtaking views of Mosul’s iconic skyline, take a stroll along the Tigris River. Along the walk, you’ll see ancient archaeological sites, monasteries, and modern-day mosques that still stand today.
8. Wander Through the Souks of Erbil: Haggle your way through Erbil’s bustling souks, or open-air markets, and immerse yourself in the local culture. Here you’ll find wonderful handmade crafts, spices, and traditional food.
9. Visit the Grand Mosque of Al-Kazimiyyah: This religious structure was constructed during the ninth century and is called the Grand Mosque of Al-Kazimiyyah. Inside the mosque you’ll find intricate designs, colorful tiles, and a sanctum housing the tomb of the Islamic messenger.
10. Witness a Wresting Tournament in Basra: Basra’s wrestling tournaments attract crowds from far and wide. Locals will gather for a cheering competition to determine who is the top wrestler.
Iraq provides its visitors with a unique travel experience like no other. These 10 activities and events are just a taste of the vast range of activities that are available to be explored in this wonderful country.